Monday, May 3, 2010

Monique Lefebvre '10

Numerous of you who responded to the call for support for Monique Lafebvre's application for an internship with the Sierra Club have asked about the outcome. Here's a "bad news/good news" response from Monique to my inquiry that I hope will confirm our individual and shared commitment to supporting our students' success at every point in their careers with us. THANKS to all who pitched in to help make Monique's experience successful in a very important way, bolstering her confidence with a strong sense of the support of her undergraduate institution in all her endeavors! Regards, ATM

I found out a couple of days ago that I was not chosen as a finalist for the Sierra Club's "Best Internship Ever." While it is disappointing, of course, I could not have gotten so far without your help! Thank you so much for your ongoing support of my endeavors. The application process really helped to demonstrate the power of the USM community, the support system that exists on this campus, and within its networks. I have been completely astounded by the amount of people who sent such kind words back and helped to pass along my story. It may sound "cheesy," but it warmed my heart and made me feel a part of something so much bigger than myself! If anything, the Sierra Club application process taught me a lesson about not being afraid to chase a dream because there is a much bigger support group than I could have ever imagined. Even though I am not walking away with the internship as my own, I am walking away with a much deeper sense of just what it means to be a student at the University of Southern Maine. In my opinion, that might just be better deal.

Thank you so much, Andrea! (And every single other person who helped cheer me on!)

Andrea Thompson McCall, Director
Community Engagement
Interfaith Chaplaincy
University of Southern Maine
P.O. Box 9300
Portland, ME 04104-9300
Phone 207-228-8284
FAX 207-228-8403

No comments: